The Hunt for Bugs

I work in the world of software maintenance. Even though maintenance involves a lot of tasks, the most important is resolving software bugs. A key tool for this activity is a good bug tracking system. I am starting a blog to discuss this aspect of software maintenance.

The advantage I have, like some other developers, is that I have worked on a lot of projects in my career. And each of them tracked bugs in different ways. I intend to review the mechanics of these techniques to sort out the good from the bad. In the end it might boil down to people issues. But I believe the bug tracking systems make a big difference too.

At my current position we have migrated from using PVCS Tracker to IBM Rational Clearquest. So why don't I start with the use of Clearquest, and the processes that go along with it to track problem resolution.